Thursday, September 29, 2011

Midna: The Fused Shadow Part 2

Are you ready for the rest of this? I'm sure not.

So, I completed the costume on time and wore it to CONvergence 2011. This is the rest of the process.

Witness my pain.

Consequently, I no longer have fingers.

So my last post left off with me dreading cutting out the rest of the detail for the facade of the Fused Shadow. This is why I was dreading it. Do you see all those lines? Ow.

 
 And then I stuck the designs on and was relieved to see all of this take some shape... as it was confirming to me that while I was crazy, I was at least not a failure. 



After this, I created the clay bits and glued them on, which was trickier than I wanted because the paperclay and the hot glue and the paper created this terrible orgy of materials that made everything not want to stick. I'm still not sure how I got it to. I put off doing the snakes FOREVER because I was afraid of screwing them up. But while they took well over a week to dry fully enough for me to glue them on, they turned out better than anticipated.

And here is the back. I got lazy and used twine to do the details back there... which wasn't the best call because it was all... twiney, and therefore more textured than I'd wanted.

And THEN. I painted it. With spray paint. From Michael's. And it was good.

I purchased a long orange wig off of eBay, which was pretty perfect in terms of color. I debated with myself over whether I was going to style it with gel, and then realized that if I somehow screwed it up I would cut myself deliberately and shut myself away in my house to never see the light of day again. So I didn't.

And it was fine. ...With the exception that it tangles if you even look at it.

The ears were made out of the same foam that the helm itself is made off. I mixed the blue color myself and I'm feeling pretty cocky about it because LOOK AT IT. The only thing that would make it better was if it glowed.
Stripes weren't painted here, don't judge.

So that was the process of the Fused Shadow. The one that I started in like bloody January and completed like in JUNE. Thank god I went to art college so that my opus could wind up being a piece of exercise mat that I wore on my head for two days.

Wanna know where it is now? The garage. Life is cruel.

No comments: